Get off the treadmill and onto the water with Shannon
Get off the treadmill and onto the water with Shannon!
We're passionate about inspiring GlideSoul girls to dive into new experiences; Try wakeboarding this season!
This week we're featuring our GlideSoul Girl, Shannon, who is the best ambassador of the young generation in wakeboarding world . She is keen to share her stories and tips for getting started.
You can read Shannon's interview below!
Q: Tell us a bit about yourself:
A: Hi, my name is Shannon Sahinbas and I'm a pro wakeboarder. I started competing in wakeboarding when I was about 12 years old but have been learning since I was at the age of 9. Through the years I've had a lot of ups and downs in the sport: I've had 2 extensive knee surgeries that bumped me out for a few seasons. That hasn't stopped me though and I have a few competition titles under my belt:
- Wake Open: 1st place Jr Womenʼs division 2017, Regional champion from 2013-2017
- WWA Nautique National Championships: 2nd place & best amateur trick award out of every competitor 2016.
Q. What are your favourite GlideSoul products for wakeboarding?
A: My three favorite GlideSoul Products that I use wakeboarding are:
- The reversible impact vest, it's an extremely well-assembled life vest that comes in many different colors. The vest stays on well and gives me good protection with falls. It also dries fast and has convenient tiny holes for water to drain out.
- My go too wetsuit for Florida weather is the 2mm spring suit with the front zipper. It has long arms and shorts so it keeps my arms warm while allowing for legs to breathe making it not too hot.
- As well my third choice for really hot Florida days is the 1mm long top with front zip, for the purpose of having just a little layer under my impact vest.
Q. What are your recommendations for girls who have never tried wakeboarding before?
A: My main goal in this sport besides progressing women riding is introducing new women into the sport. For any girl looking or thinking about trying wakeboarding, I know its intimidating but women can do it too! Whether you are trying it behind a boat or the cable park I encourage you to fall in love with this sport.
Q: What are your two favourite spots to start Wakeboarding?
A: The hub so to speak of wakeboarding is definitely Central Florida "Orlando" area simply because of the weather but you can try it around the globe. It's not a college sport yet although we do have our own organization that scantions all the events (WWA).
Thank you, Shannon!!!